This video will help you understand how to collect a nasal sample for COVID-19 testing
Some important reminders:
- Please read and follow the procedures exactly as written. If the procedures are not followed, the test may lead to a false result.
- Please read through the instructions fully before attempting to collect any swabs.
- If you have any questions during the sample collection, please contact your provider to request a new test kit.
- Please wipe down the collection surface before collecting any samples
- If any liquid spills from the tube, you should not return the test. Wipe up the liquid and discard. Please discard the tube and contact your provider to request a new test kit.
- You should not remove the absorbent pad from the biohazard bag.
- Make sure to put the swab tip down into the collection tube, or you may receive a false result.
- Make sure to avoid touching any surface with the nasal swab. If the swab does touch a surface, discard the swab and contact your provider to request a new test kit.
Steps to complete your sample collection:
- Watch the video at the top of this page.
- Write your date of birth (MM/DD/YYY) and today’s date on the barcode sticker on the collection tube.
- Wash your hands with warm water and mild soap for 20 seconds. Dry your hands.
- Remove the nasal swab from its wrapper. Hold the swab about 1 inch below the cotton tip. Do not touch the cotton tip or put the swab down.
- Insert the swab tip half an inch into your right nostril. Rotate the swab and scrub the walls of your nostril for 10 seconds. Do not put the swab down!
- Without putting the swab down, repeat in your left nostril with the same swab.
- While continuing to hold the swab, twist the cap off the collection tube. Be careful not to spill the liquid! Put the swab in the tube tip-down and break off at the indentation mark by bending against the edge of the tube.
- Twist the cap closed to tightly seal the tube.
- 1 Pre-Paid USPS Mailer
- 1 Shipping Box
READ BEFORE PROCEEDING
- Make sure the tube is sealed tightly
- Make sure the absorbent pad is in the biohazard bag
- Make sure the collection tube is labeled with your date of birth and the date that you collected the swab
To Return Your Kit
- Place the collection tube into the biohazard bag with the absorbent pad
- Place the biohazard bag in the box and close the box
- Place the box in the USPS mailer and seal the mailer
Return Options (select one)
USPS Pickup Location
Drop off the completed box at your nearest USPS pickup location (https://tools.usps.com/findlocation.htm)
Drop off the completed box at your nearest post office
Place this completed box in your mailbox for your mail carrier to pick up
If you have any other questions, please contact your provider.
Disclaimer: This home collection kit has not been FDA cleared or approved. This home collection kit has been authorized by FDA under an EUA. This home collection kit has been authorized only for the home collection and maintenance of nasal swab specimens as an aid in detection of nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2, not for any other viruses or pathogens. This home collection kit in combination with the authorized test is only authorized for the duration of the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of emergency use of in vitro diagnostic tests for detection and/or diagnosis of COVID-19 under Section 564(b)(1) of the Act, 21U.S.C.§360bbb-3(b)(1), unless the authorization is terminated or revoked sooner.